Slow Cooked Squid with Olives and Tomatoes
by Jordan Kelly-Linden
600g vine tomatoes
1 large onion, finely chopped
a bunch of flat leafed parsley, roughly chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
125ml white wine
2 tbsp tomato purée
2 bay leaves
1 tsp fennel seeds, crushed
800g squid tubes, cleaned and cut into rings
100g green olives, pitted
zest of half a lemon
- Heat the oven to 160˚C/fan 140˚C. Blanch the tomatoes in boiling water for 2 mins until the skins start to burst and peel off. Drain and leave to cool for a few mins until you can handle them. Peel off the skins and discard. Chop the flesh, keeping the seeds and any juice that comes off them and tip into a bowl.
- Heat a drizzle of oil in a casserole or heavy based ovenproof pan. Fry the onion for 10 mins until soft, but not coloured. Add the parsley stalks, garlic and chilli and fry for a minute. Add the wine and simmer until reduced by half, then add the peeled and chopped tomatoes, tomato purée, bay and fennel seeds.
- Bring to a simmer, add the squid, cover with a lid and cook in the oven for 45 mins – 1 hour. After 30 mins, add the olives, and leave the lid off if the sauce is a little thin. Keep cooking until the squid is tender, but not mushy. Stir in the parsley and lemon zest just before serving. Serve with toasted cauliflower rice or quinoa.
Cod, Cherry Tomato and Olive Tray Roast
Red onion cut into thin wedges
750g cherry tomatoes
6 x 125g pieces cod loin
6 pieces parma ham
18 green olives
flat-leaf parsley, chopped to serve
- Heat the oven to 220˚C/fan 200˚C/. Put the onions and tomatoes in a shallow roasting dish. Season the add 4 tbsp of olive oil and combine. Roast for 15 mins.
- Wrap each piece of cod in a slice of Parma ham.
- Add the olives to the roasting dish and sit the cod on top of the tomatoes.
- Roast for a further 15 mins until the cod is cooked through and the Parma ham has crisped. Scatter with parsley and serve with cauliflower rice or quinoa.